View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Skittl1321

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Has she ever tried quilting on a longarm.........watched the video and it seems her needs would be better satisfied with a longarm instead of a DM...and if the price of that Juki is actually 10K as someone mentioned, she could have gotten a l/a or a mid arm! She sounds like a good commercial for the machine she now has!!! Jmho
I think she's posted in the past why she didn't want a longarm (though she had also posted that she'd never need to spend more than $500 for a machine- so clearly her views evolve over time)- but to me, a main reason is that she is an EXTREMELY skilled quilter in the mode she does it- moving the quilt. Getting a longarm would require her to learn how to quilt all over again, by moving the needle on a stationary quilt.

I did ask why she chose the Juki over a sit down mid-arm, but she didn't reply. I'm interested to see how she does on the Juki in the next year or so. I've run into visibility issues on my Bernina- you just can't see what is behind the needle. And it isn't a chair issue, as if I lowered the chair, my arms wouldn't be at the right height. All the pieces have to fit together for ergonomics. This Juki is inexpensive for a quilting machine, and it might be worth trying.

Of course, it would have to be a second machine- as a straight stitch only machine doesn't meet my sewing needs.