Old 01-02-2010, 07:00 AM
sewjoyce

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Sewjoyce - it WAS rude of her to not thank you for the breast cancer quilt you made for her. But, as a breast cancer survivor, here's a little insight from my point of view, and it may be heres as well.

I don't need a daily reminder of my cancer. And I'm getting tired of people greeting me with 'How are you?' They mean well, but it's a reminder, too.

Most days, I'm able to get through the day without remembering the tough year I went through, and that's a GOOD thing. I still go to breast cancer support group meetings, and a lot of my BCSG buddies feel the same way.

While you're going through treatment, it's great to have people be supportive and ask how you feel, and, better yet, for them to jump in and do things for you. But when you're finished, and have regained your strength, you pretty much don't like to be reminded. - except when you go to your 3 month or 6 month or annual checks with your oncologist. It's ok for him to ask how you're feeling!
Joanne -- thanks so much for your response. I never thought about it quite that way before. I have one friend who is a survivor and who wears the pink ribbons, makes items for breast cancer patients, and is generally "gung ho" about it all. I showed her the pink ribbon quilt I'd made, and she cried. My DD also told me that her MIL simply loved the quilt and had hung it in her bedroom. So I guess that I was just too quick to judge (a trait that I'm not proud of and am really trying to work on :D )