View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Sewnoma

Well I didn't get NEARLY as much done as I'd hoped.

While trimming down the quilt I wanted to bind, I noticed a blob of thread on the back. I thought I had caught up some stray thread in my quilting but nope...it was top thread that somehow got pulled through and piled up. Started looking more closely and a whole section of my quilting was a disaster. Looked perfect on top, but on the bottom I could see that my bottom thread was essentially one tight straight line with top thread looped around it. Gave an experimental tug and that bottom thread snapped!! SO...spent some time examining the whole quilt & ended up ripping out about a quarter of the quilting (which mostly came out pretty easily thanks to how weirdly it was stitched in). Then went to redo it and realized something was wrong, machine was still stitching funny. Pulled the machine apart and cleaned it THREE TIMES before I finally found the problematic bit of fuzz hidden and wedged into the bobbin case. Amazing how just a teeny tiny little wad of lint can make a big powerful machine have all kinds of trouble. Finally got the quilting re-done late in the evening and that was it for Saturday; fixing the machine took nearly half a day because I kept having to walk away in frustration and worry. (I thought my machine was BROKEN until I finally found that hidden fuzz!) Pretty much just ended up right were I'd started so Saturday was mostly just a wash.

Sunday I took a break from that quilt (it still needs its binding) and started on my MIL's big-block floral that's currently up on the wall. Only got about 1/3rd of the top together and I was done sewing. Been having troubles sleeping lately so I was just wore out. Spent some time puttering around and cleaning up though so my sewing space is neat and organized again, so I'll count that as being productive!