View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 07:50 PM
GingerK

Okay, the measurements you quoted match up exactly to what I have for a finished 4 inch block. But when I look at your block, the center point of your flying geese is sewn in on the top and bottom. WHY?? Did all four flying geese pieces look the same before you tried to attach them to the neighbouring pieces? Or did some not overlap in the center? It just looks like you sewed a half inch seam instead of a quarter inch seam when you attached the top piece, center piece and bottom piece.

The only thing I can think of is that the flying geese did not meet correctly in the center of the top and bottom pieces. Therefore when you sew those pieces to the center piece, the seam allowance is cutting off the point.

You could try this: Take a couple of pieces of scrap fabric. Cut one piece 1 1/2 x 2 1/2. Then cut two pieces 1 1/2x 1 1/2 and draw a diagonal line across those two pieces. Now lay one piece with the diagonal on it on the end of the larger piece. Sew along the diagonal. Finger press the seam. It should match almost exactly to the original 1 1/2x2 1/2 Now sew the other diagonally marked piece onto the other side and finger press. How does that compare to the two pieces you have already sewn to your center piece on your original block? (this is a way of doing flying geese and wasting a lot of material but some people prefer it because it is more exact.)

Please let us know if any of these suggestions have helped.

Oops just re-read your last post. You should center the triangles. An easy way of doing that is to fold the sides to be sewn and just finger press a bit. Then match the little creases and pin if necessary.

Last edited by GingerK; 10-13-2014 at 07:56 PM.