View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Macra

I used it for a floor quilt when my sons were little. I used the scraps from my husband and the boys trousers. Mostly blues.
What a mess making it though It's worse than velvet, and even zigzagging (serger ? who had a serger thirty years ago ??) all the raw edges only kept it from ravelling back, not from losing all the cut pile bits, that shed over everything. I had to constantly de-oose the trap under the feed dogs on my sewing machine.

The end result was very, very good though It was heavy, but warm (never mind the floor, the boys claimed it as a quilt for snuggling up under on the sofa) soft and very comfortable.

It washed and tumbled dried very well too. Forget fancy quilting; all I could manage to get through it was plain in the ditch of the cords. I had backed it with a old woollen blanket (pure new wool though, so it didn't shrink when washed) and a layer of blue flannel sheeting.

I used some green pieces for Christmas ornaments. Best advice is to look for fine wale corduroy; I can buy it in four different thicknesses of the wales in our local fabric shop. The fine stuff works really well for the ornaments. It gives a good texture to pieces.

M