View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 PM
quilt938

Default Placemat suggestions

well I'm trying to venture into new waters (only sewed when quilting and maybe a couple of simple simple easy aprons...) but since I now have my mom's dining room table and want to actually use it I'v decided I should do some stash reduction by making some placemats. Of course I can't find the one pattern I've had for years that I want to use but I DID get a template for a 4 sided (they flip where there's always 2 layers) as well as some ideas from youtube. Of course all call for something different - some batting, some thermalan, some a stiff fusible interfacing...does it really matter? I know thick fluffy fleece would be a bit hard to balance the water glass on but I dont' want paper thin super stiff ones either.
I'm thinking of trying cotton or an 80/20 cotton/poly batting since I have those on-hand...

has anyone here done the 4 sided ones? here's a link to the templates/pattern I have http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...am4=1210428356

whoa kinda long! but the instructions I'm finding a bit lacking - I need big pics and big print..hoping as i get started I'll be able to 'see' what they're saying..

anyways any advice / suggestions before I get started? should I look for some kind of fusible pellon instead of trying the batting? I'm thinking the 4 sided flippy ones would need something thinner since they're always folded where there are 2 layers...hoping to work on some of these Friday night at GNO (girls night out) and this weekend but I'm also trying an apron pattern that's probalby gonna challenge me in spite of being 'easy'!