View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 09:25 PM
SusieQ54

This post might seem extreme to some, but with what with has been going on I think we all need to be very cautious. While it's great to travel under normal circumstances, until Ebola is contained and we have control of it, people should postpone optional travel. I'm not trying to panic anyone but, Ebola isn't like catching a cold or the flu, it's a 90% fatal disease. While it isn't easily spread like a cold/flu virus, Ebola is a HIGHLY infectious disease. That means once exposed you will probably get it! I didn't realize this until watching a CNN Ebola report last night. All it takes is an infected person to wipe their nose and then touch a surface, later you touch the same surface and if you have a blister, paper cut, hangnail, or any break in the skin you will contract Ebola. It is also not known how long the Ebola virus can live on surfaces. Lysol disinfectant sheets or hand sanitizer will not kill Ebola virus. Chlorine Bleach is the only known chemical that kills it. How about the two Dallas nurses who treated the deceased Ebola patient, they had protective gear and disinfectants and they still contracted Ebola. Thank goodness the public at large are not coming into contact with infected patients' body fluids as a nurse would, but we are not protected from surface exposure: money, all public building door handles, faucet handles, shopping carts, counters,etc. Traveling close to areas where Ebola exists puts at risk the travelers, their family members and the hometowns to which they return. Now thanks to the CDC and one Dallas nurse, people from all over the U.S. and possibly other countries have been unnecessarily exposed to Ebola. How many innocent children and adults flew in an Ebola-infected plane, due to their terrible lack of judgment. Also this infected nurse came into contact with people at airports and other public places she visited--not to mention her out-of-town family. It won't take too many more such incidents to create the feared U.S. Ebola epidemic. The CDC and Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital-Dallas apologizing after letting the "cat out of the bag" will not cancel out the virus exposure they have caused. If something isn't done soon we may be facing an Ebola epidemic in the United States comparable to the Bubonic Plague of the Middle-Ages. I wonder if our Healthcare system could deal with an Ebola epidemic, as they haven't been able to adequately deal with the few cases they have had so far without putting healthcare workers and the public at needless risk. So many stupid mistakes have also been made by the CDC. I cannot understand why people exposed to this lethal disease were not quarantined to their homes--period. Instead, they were allowed to fly on commercial airlines exposing countless more people to this deadly virus. They used to quarantine people with Measles and Measles is nothing compared to Ebola. How dumb can they be? This comedy of errors and casual attitude concerning this disease has to stop. Time has come for state/federal governments to quit "pussy-footing around" and restrict travel to and from Africa and states in the U.S. where Ebola is known to exist until this lethal disease has been contained. With Ebola being 90% fatal it's better to err on the side of caution. America is a free county and we all value our ability to travel unrestricted, but there are times when this freedom must be restricted temporarily to protect the public from itself.