View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 11:29 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
Thank you all for so many beautiful design ideas! Decisions, decisions! But now I have something to decide from, and that's a big help, so thank you. I'm sure you can imagine that "shocked" feeling one has when something like this happens, and suddenly, you just can't think.

The LA quilter did send me the quilt back. It was completely destroyed. The bleach had sat on the quilt for so long that it just destroyed the integrity of the fabric. There was nothing to save. But it was a good catharsis for me, and I had a good cry.

Normally my LA quilter puts the quilt tops and backs in a clear plastic bin, labels them, and stores them in her laundry room, which apparently is a big room and has an area for storage. She was out of bins because she had loaned the bins to her daughter to help her move house, and hadn't held back enough bins. Her exact words were: "I don't know why I put it on the floor in the Laundry Room. It seems like a perfectly stupid thing to do now, and I have no excuse. I should have laid it out on the bed in the guest bedroom and shut the door. I'm so sorry." I did get my backing back since that wasn't with the quilt. You're right, there were two people crying on that phone call. Normally she washes my quilts after she quilts them because she has a washing machine that is large enough.

I just couldn't be angry with her. I knew she felt as badly as I did. I knew she was doing her best to make up for the damage done. After she read this post (and yes, she is a member of this board, but somehow I felt shocked when she found this thread) she called me and told me that I could choose the number of quilts she should quilt for free. I was speechless! I shall have to think about that. I'm not out to abuse her kindness.

I've been through this post several times and every time I go through it, I change my mind! But that's all right. I figure it will take me about a week to make up my mind, and that's fun for me, sitting in my sewing room, puling fabrics out of my bins, trying to decide if I have the right fabrics to do justice to a pattern. I really enjoy this, so I have something to look forward to these coming few days. I also heard from my nephew Ian (my sister told him what happened because he was expecting a quilt at their Christmas before they leave for Alabama for the winter). Ian tells me to "take it easy", and he'll be ready for the quilt any time the quilt is ready for him, don't worry." He's thrilled about the quilt for his son, which he already has.

So thank you again. I was desperate and sad, and this Board has come to my rescue, provides amble choices for quilts and lifted my spirits. Isn't humanity wonderful?!
I am so glad you took the time to explain the whole incident. Myself, and others, never want to think badly about a fellow quilter, but even she must admit that the set of circumstances that caused the damage are like something from a bad sitcom. Maybe you both would feel better if you both got together on a Saturday and remade the quilt? I am glad your friendship is still whole. Good friends are not easily lost. Blessings on both of you.