View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 01:42 PM
ekuw

In my family I have for the most part stopped exchanging gifts with my brother and sister. Sometimes I get my parents a gift card, but if they want something they usually buy it for themselves. It's nice and simple. My husbands family however is all about exchanging gifts. The problem is most of these folks are pretty well off and the presents in my price range (about $20) just doesn't work here. They kind of frown on gift cards because it's not really thoughtful, but I don't really spend a lot of time with them to know what would be inexpensive and "meaningful". The reality is they have all the stuff they could possible ever need or want. I'm not sure what happens to the gifts we give them because over the course of 25 years I have RARELY seen something we have given any of them around or used. There are about 10 people to buy for and it just stresses me out trying to find the perfect thoughtful gift for these people who I really don't spend time with other than the holidays. We have tried drawing names, but they all hated it so it went by the wayside. Once again as the holidays approach, my stress level rises over this issue. Last year we opted out because we just didn't have the $$ to do it, but we still receive gifts from them which makes it awkward. I'm already getting stressed out about this and it's still October. BTW I have baked for them, but my MIL & SIL both make cookies so if I give them more it's kind of overkill and my MIL quilts and my SIL is an amazing seamstress so I can't really give them quilts either. UGH!