View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Jeanette Frantz

Default My Great-Grandmother's Minnesota Model A

The first time I ever saw this machine (or remembered seeing it) was last Christmas, and it was in sad shape! I have been looking for parts, etc., knowing that a lot was going to have to be replaced or repaired on this machine. Well, last week, I found a machine for sale for parts and/or restoration. In truth, the shell of the machine is in pretty good condition, and most of the decals are in pretty good shape, although some are silvered somewhat. Also, the bed of the machine is a little rough. I suspect it's going to have to have some shellac added (using Glenn's method) to further stabilize the decals and smooth out the finish. The parts machine has both the slide plate and needle plate, so those items will not be needed. I've already cleaned these two items, and it's amazing how well they've cleaned up. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I will. I am anxious to get possession of Grandma's original machine (my cousin has it -- I'm trying to restore this one for her), so we can try to put at least a few things from Grandma's machine, enough to say it's her machine, restored! I'm sure I'll be calling on some of you for advice! Am I crazy? I sure hope not! My cousin has had a very hard time during the past several years, but she is really excited about this machine!

Jeanette