View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 05:56 PM
my-ty

Have you thought how many gifts your daughters are buying? Let's do some math (with some guesses) and just look at it from one daughter's viewpoint. As you stated a parent should give each child, 5 gifts each plus say 3 Santa gifts each. Now if your daughter wants to teach the importance of "giving", each child should be giving a gift to their sibling, and their parents. And she gives 2 gifts to her spouse. That is a total of 26 gifts to be given within their family unit.

Each activity the kids are in, has a coach which needs a gift, 3 activities * 2 kids = 6 gifts. Each teacher needs a gift, 1 teacher * 2 kids = 2 gifts. Maybe the kids have friends that they want to send gifts to, 3 friends * 2 kids = 6 gifts. That's 14 more gifts.

I am sure your daughter has some special girlfriends that she always exchanges gifts with, 3 friends = 3 gifts. And maybe these friends each have 2 children, = 6 gifts. That's 9 gifts to her girlfriends.

Gifts within her family, 1 for you, 1 for your husband, 1 for sis, 1 for brother-in-law, and 3 gifts to each niece/nephew. That's 10 gifts for her family.

Assuming, her husband comes from the same-sized family. Another 10 for his family.

If I can add correctly, that's 69 gifts. This does not include any hostess gifts (if they are invited out), other gift exchange, or other unexpected gift-giving occasion.

Sounds pretty crazy. I speak from experience, this is why daughters ask their mothers to "please draw names".