View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 05:17 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
As a beginner this hurts me that some other beginner quilter done her best although is has many flaws in it, to make a top and it is being dismissed as a throw away quilt. This means to me that all the work I have done while learning is crap to the excellent skilled quilter. It would certainly turn me off from trying to quilt ever again. My quilts have a lot of flaws but I know that my children will love them all the same because I made them just for them individually. I hope that other beginners like myself don't let these comments stop them from trying their best to make quilts for the ones they love.
I'm with you here. And for all we know, this quilter wasn't a beginner at all and was simply experimenting and trying something new and potentially innovative. Why be all quilt-policey about it? So the points don't line up...who says they should? Obviously this quilter used a technique where lining up sharp points is impossible, so why assume they were intended to? Maybe that quilt top is EXACTLY what the maker intended it to be, blunted corners and all. It's definitely different and interesting, but I won't say it's wrong. The quilt top wasn't falling apart or anything, right?

If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. Personal taste, and all that. But I don't understand taking it all apart to make it be something else. Seems much easier to just make your own from scratch.

I vote for reassembling it just how it was and if you still hate it, pass it on to someone else to finish. I'm sure there are people out there who would be very interested in this unique quilt and more than happy to take it and make it useful.