View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 12:33 PM
ThayerRags

I’m slowly but surely getting some of the rust soaked off of the Singer 115 that I’ll be fiddling with most of the winter probably. Steve was right. It’s going to take some work to get this one even operating, much less “pretty”.

The rust on the silver pieces has pitted the finish pretty bad, so it may never look very good again, but I won’t mind this machine being just an old “beater” as long as it sews well. The presser bar adjuster nut is still frozen onto the presser bar, so I still have it in the drink. You can see a little fizzing where it’s at in the pan, so I’m still getting some chemical action. The upper tension assembly is in there with it where I’m trying to get as much rust out of the thumb nut threads as I can before I force it too much.

The body of the machine is still locked up hard and fast, but I’m going to just keep the shafts and bearings wet with sewing machine oil for a few more weeks before I start in with the penetrating oil, heat, and physical force. There will be plenty of time for that later on, and I’ve been amazed on other machines at how well the oil can limber things up if given plenty of time.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine572_05.jpg