View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Jeanette Frantz

Rodney, the original is an absolute mess -- totally rusty, almost all the japanned finish is gone, and of course the decals -- well it was surprising enough that I could even read the name of the machine. The presser foot is stuck completely and the slide plates are missing, the shuttle is gone -- that one would probably have to have a re-painting and, if available, some new slide decals -- I don't know if I want to go that deep into it! It's been a long time since Great-Grandma died -- probably the late 50's or early 60's. I honestly don't remember! With my back problems, I'm not sure I could stay on my feet long enough to do the work, and I sure can't afford to hire it done! With the "parts machine" I bought, all I need to do is clean up the machine, dis-assembling it enough so that I can polish the metal (sitting down) and apply shellac to protect the decals. The decals are already "silvered" in places and I'm not sure what happened to it before I bought it. Suffice it to say, my cousin has reimbursed me for what I paid for the machine, so my budget is okay on that score! I don't know, I'll have to really think about that!

Jeanette