Thread: Qnique quilter
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Farm Quilter

Be aware that you really don't have as much quilting space as the length of the throat...you have your roller there (take away about 2") and as you wind the quilt on the take-up roller, you lose inches. I have an 18" throat and even on the first pass, I cannot quilt a 12" block set on-point without rolling the quilt back and forth. If I were to buy another longarm (probably not!!) I would not get one that is less than a 22" throat. Also, I would not buy a longarm without trying out it out! I find that some of them are really hard for me to quilt on - looks like a kid playing and I've had my longarm for 6 years! Also, it may be just me, but the sound that some of them make as you use them would give me a headache really fast! If you can, visit some larger quilt shows and check out all the longarms before you buy anything. Also, find out what kind of support they have - you don't want to have a problem on Friday night at 6 and have to wait until Monday to call someone! With my longarm, I have 24/7/365 free tech service I can call and they have been able to walk me through any problem I have had - I even called on Christmas day afternoon!!