View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Nantie

Default opinions needed on bench cushion

I was asked to make a cushion for a kitchen bench 36in wide by 72in long a box style with piping. The fabric purchased (very very expensive) to me has a 4 1/2 in mottled blue stripe alternating with a cream fabric of the same width. However, the stripe runs along the length not width of the fabric and the client wants the stripe on the width of the cushion which necessitates a seam as the fabric is only 54 in wide. Using 1/2 in seams as the pattern calls for will make the stripe at the seam 1 in less in width than the other stripes, I feel this will be very noticeable and also create a weakening of the fabric at the seam which is where people will be sitting. The fabric is 100% cotton as well. I am thinking of making a small rectangle of fabric using stripe fabric to show exactly what having one stripe down the middle that is an inch narrower than the others to show th client what she will have without cutting into the fabric she purchased....any help, suggestions, opinions are welcome...thanks