View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 06:46 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Well the SCA event seemed disorganized and confusing to me. I did a class in cleaning out sewing machines & did a lot of talking all day. DH says he showed off the long bobbin with the clear cover several times and it went over nice. I think there is now one barn Singer 27 that will be rescued and put into use. The last hour we let kids descend on the petting zoo - I got cornered by somebody (argh) so did not have a good handle on things so it may have been wild. Let's say there was nothing unmanly about a bunch of little boys using sewing machines. The HC attachments are more fragile than steering wheel spinner knobs IMHO. If I ever do it again it will be all steering wheel knobs. (The Burdick was a huge hit.) My DGDs showed the kids what to do and in one case, Miss M swiped his sword and ran him around the yard for a time - she would slay any dragon.... Prior to that, there were a couple little girls that really got a chance to test out all of the machines and learned a bit about sewing. One lady decided she had good control for the first time in her life sewing with a HC. Electric machines got NO attention NOR the treadle. I guess if you have it at home... Steve, if you take those machines of yours anywhere, you need to have a minimum of a weeks wages on it... BUT at least there is some awareness.

The event had a little corner with computerized sewing machines... It was like a line in the sand...

Steve, as far as a tips jar - someone snuck an extra sewing machine on our truck as we were loading up.... in a table... I think the guy 'worked' on it... A new tension may solve it's immediate issues...

They had a calligraphy class and Lovie went. Miss M went to a sausage making class and a fabric burn test class. (I used to do burn tests on fabric until my youngest son did a burn test on a cannon fuse in his bedroom... he couldn't get it out so the carpet had an accidental burn test...)