View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 AM
KenmoreRulesAll

Thanks everyone! Yep, it's a beauty. And all those accessories. I have to do a lot of leaf-blowing today but once I get inside, I'm sitting down and giving it a trial run.

I guess the question as to whether I'm a collector was a tongue-in-cheek swipe at the 'Bernina Mystique': am I now a legitimate collector now that I have one of them?

I plan to be amazed by this machine but then I'm amazed that I was able to get a Kenmore 1756 for free, a fantastic machine. So I don't think the questions are whether Bernina makes a great machine (a resounding 'Yes!') or even whether this Bernina is better than that Kenmore (another 'Yes!') but one of degrees: is the Bernina THAT much better? In other words, were I to sew a 3mm zig-zag with the same thread on the same fabric using the same needle on each machine with tensions as close to identical as possible, would you be able to tell which machine sewed which line of stitches?

Perhaps I'm too mercenary but price is part of the sewing experience, the "I got this great machine for nothing!" factor. The 1756 can lay down a seam as well as any machine and it's smooth and powerful, it holds tension beautifully, etc. I guess what I'm wrestling with is that early on in my collecting, I was seeking machines for their absolute financial value rather than their relative market value. It was in a sense naive, sure, but now that I've had my fill of inexpensive machines (I have many), I'm starting to leave that behind and am looking more closely at a different type of machine. A year ago, a colorful, blinged-out Japanese clone would have delighted me. I guess I'm being wistful.

OK, /rant over.