View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 08:35 AM
linda8450

Hmmm, what would a person call themselves if they completed a whole cloth quilt! Not a piecer, certainly. Not a quilter???
Why diminish the part we play in the completion of the whole, and why give someone who "only" quilts the final finished product more credit for being a quilter (sometimes they load it onto the longarm and use a pre-digitized program, not a lot of creativity there, folks!).
I think of myself as a sewer. I sometimes do the piecing, sometimes I finish the binding (tho I hate hate hate hand work, where others love love love it) sometimes I stitch in the ditch, sometimes I try my hand at free motion. I still am not ready to call myself a quilter! But it is my choice, and when I cross over that line, I probably won't send out announcements....I will just have moved up from being a sewer (piecer/creator/designer/inventor/maker/fabric selector/color co-ordinator) of the top to being a finisher of a quilt. Enjoying the process, learning each time I touch one and loving the quilt, no matter how little or how much I contributed to the finished product.