View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 07:01 AM
works4me

Default Mom's Prairie Rose Quilt

My mother turns 88 on November 13. She has always loved the prairie rose so I decided it was time she got her own prairie rose quilt.

I found a photo that I liked and adapted it to applique. I used a couple of different applique stitches around the pieces. I used variegated thread in yellow, green, and pink in the appropriate areas.

I had some old fabric that was a soft green and had what appeared to be wild roses on it but I really didn't feel it was right for the backing. When I saw this backing fabric in the store, I knew I had hesitated for a reason. Several different stitches were used for the quilting and I even made my own label fabric out of the backing fabric then my own label. I turned the backing to the front, hand stitched it in place and then used an applique stitch to pretty it up on the front.

I have put a dowel through the hanging sleeve and attached copper wire to each end using thumb tacks. Now it is super easy for Mom to hang the quilt. The only other thing I will do is buy one of those 3M magic hangers so she won't even need a nail.

Mom knows about the quilt. She even approved one of the pink fabrics. I think she will be pleased.
Attached Thumbnails front-complete.jpg   front-detail.jpg   back-detail.jpg