Thread: Ask the experts
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 09:12 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I'm not doing FMQ. Just using a built in stitch. It has a little bit of a swirl to it. It would be ok if it stretched some, but it is totally getting out of shape.
The batting is polyester. I actually thought of that. But I buy the batting in huge rolls at a discount to use for charity quilts. The thing is I've been using it for years.
I really think I have a lemon of a machine. It has caused me nothing but grief. Sucking the joy out of quilting. There are days I'm ready to throw it out the window. today is one of them.
As silly as this may sound, try checking your presser foot pressure. Mine is adjustable and solved the same kind of issue. Your fabric and batting layers are thicker than normal so it takes more room to move everything together. Your walking foot, has to have room to make each little leap to advance the fabric. If it doesn't lift enough for everything to move, everything gets scooted instead of advanced, resulting in what is happening to you. Also, you must slow down to use a walking foot, especially if your machine, like mine, says you must! Sewing fast with some walking feet can also be a real hazard since they can actually be rattled apart by fast sewing, causing the needle to strike them and sending needle parts flying! I wear glasses to sew but if you don't , the risk is not worth it. Good luck dear.

Last edited by madamekelly; 10-28-2014 at 09:16 AM.