Old 10-29-2014, 05:52 AM
w1613s

Oh, the bags took my breath away! I seem to be enchanted by 2 1/2" strips. I learned to piece using Seminole piecing methods and strips are very much a part of that. Another thing about SP is that you don't have to have a specific project. Fabric is pieced in what amounts to wider strips and those strips have no particular length - they end when you quit piecing that particular set of smaller strips. You can use your new, wider strip in conjunction with other wide strips you have made or roll it up and save it for use later. Some rolls I have seen go on for what seems to be miles. And, at least parts of them, can be kept as an archive of color, placement, prefrence, etc.

My first pieced strips are hanging in my sewing room. Horrible, unSeminole colors. Huge patterns. But pleasing to me. Funny, some good points (literally) and some not so good.

One thing I like about piecing with this "sew 'til you quit" approach is that I seem to just like sitting down to the sewing machine and simply sew. No project. Just me and the machine and the threads and fabrics and the peace and all the "possibilities" for sewing, color, shape, use, etc. running through my head.

I just erased a tale of what happens in the house when I just sit and sew. Much shortened: My children, now that they are married and have homes of their own, finally told me that my "just sew" time gave them feelings of peace and security. All was right with their world. All of our cats for all the years (46) (Ye gods! So many?!) appeared in my sewing room. Everyone had/has a spot and there they stay. Even as tiny kittens. But for some cattish reasons, they actively want to be there.

Think about "just sewing." You don't have to SP. Try manufactured fabric. Make blocks. Or just blobs that can become blobs.

Oh, your bags took my breath away!

Pat

Pat