Old 11-02-2014, 06:45 AM
Macybaby

And speaking of porches - this room started out as the front porch. My home is a series of additions. The original home was a claim shack built around 1885 (think Little House on the Prairie - Desmet is just north of us). It was 9x12 and that was the WHOLE house.

Around 1900 there was a wedding, and the new couple moved a larger "shack" onto the property and joined the two in a T. That one is even older - (square nails) and is 20 *14.

Around 1920 the two story addition was added, and the front was extended for a porch (current quilting room).

At one point plumbing was added - a cellar was dug under one corner of the original home and plumbing was added to that end of the house. It was only accessible from the outside (not fun when your pipes freeze in the winter) This area didn't get electricity until late 30's to 40's, so that was added too. So no knob and tube wiring here - it was more "Modern" wiring from the start.

At some point the front porch was enclosed for a den, and another porch was added to the south side. Then at some point the second porch was enclosed to make a laundry/mud room.

We bought the place and completely gutted it - rebuilding rotted walls and floors (joists and all) including having to jack up the 2 story section to rebuild what has rotted and crumbled away. We added an addition on the west end with a full basement under it. We changed some walls, moved every singe doorway and window inside and out, 100% new plumbing including a new septic system, all new electrical including trenching in the overhead lines from the pole.

The current deck we added by extending the "porch" overhang another foot and extending that across the front of the two story section. We wanted it to have an "old farmhouse" look, which is did not when we bought it.

And DH and I did everything except digging out the hole for the basement and trenching in the main power line. So when I say building the shed is an easy project, it really is.