View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 09:50 PM
ocydroma

Default Opinions on type of thread for long arm

I did a search and couldn't come up with an answer so I apologize if this has been discused prior.

I am new to quilting and have finally finished two tops. I'm asking around about sending them to someone that has a long arm. I really would like to take it to the quilt shop I have been going to because she is so helpful and has taken a lot of time helping me and answering all my newbie questions. When I mentioned this to a friend she told me not to take it there because she used polyester thread to quilt with. The tops are made of high quality quilting cotton fabric. I want to use poly for the batting because they will be washed often because we have animals and they will be laying on the quilts. My friend said that polyester thread would tear the fabric.

The shop has been in business for a long time and has been quilting for the public for a long time. The quilts displayed in the store are beautiful!! So my question is, is my friend's statement true about the poly thread tearing the fabric? I have worked hard on the two tops and don't want to have them tear up from being quilted. Please let me know what you think. I want to have them finished by Christmas. So I need to get them to someone soon.

Thanks!