Old 11-03-2014, 10:12 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I don't know if every Hancock's Fabric has this, but the one near me has the niftiest batting holder. It's a piece of flat wood, I would say about 16" square, with wheels mounted on the bottom. It has a dowel mounted in the middle, which is where the batting goes. It moves around really easily and you can also tuck it away in a corner or closet. It's kind of like a vertical paper towel holder, except on wheels. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I think it may work well for you.
I've seen these online. I also saw where someone added a T Square to it for perfectly straight cuts. I would do this but for one problem I didn't mention in my original post. I have cats. I suspect that having it like this would encourage them to use it as a scratching post, since their favorite post looks the same. I try to keep them out of the room, but periodically one sneaks in, and I thought that hanging the batting might minimize carnage.

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I just stand my roll in a corner. I hoist it up un the cutting table and chop off what i need. Not really that heavy but certainly can be a bit unwieldy, especially when new and full. Have a different brand so can't offer any info on size or weight.
This is what I was thinking - it's the unwieldy part that I'm trying to manage. 25lbs (what momto5 said) spread over 5ft would probably cause my back to go on strike. The other option I suppose is to roll it out onto 2 rolls and then it's lighter. I have a spare, and a client who empties those cardboard rolls like crazy who would love for me to take them off his hands.

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I just bought a roll of 80/20, 120": it's about 18 inches in diameter and weighs about 25 lbs. or so. I had to call my grandson to take it in the house as it was too heavy for me to lift. If your ceilings are 8 ft., and the batting is 18 inches, it will leave you with "head room " of 6 1/2 feet if you hang it from the ceiling. Weight wise, I'm not sure whether a pulley system would work or not...Hope this helps a bit!
Thanks momto5! This is exactly what I was looking for. The 18" is before or after coming out of the wrap, or does it not expand? I would probably put the dowel height at 11" then so that it's not rubbing against the ceiling tiles. I will measure my ceiling for sure, I don't want to find out it's 7.5'! We used a pulley system for our Kayaks, and I can manage those by myself, so I think the batting should be OK, and at 25lbs, I think it might be an idea, depending on where it ends up.

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
I wrap my Hobb's 80/20 in a twin size sheet and put it under one side of my quilting frame. When I need it I get hold of one end of the sheet and pull it out and the keeping hold of the sheet roll the batting back under the frame until I have the length I need. cut it off, the roll it back up and under the frame it goes
It lays on the floor, wrapped? I hadn't even considered that. With my girls, I don't think I could do that, but what a simple solution!