Old 11-03-2014, 12:15 PM
sews

Default Western Auto "Citation", need help w bobbin winder and foot controller

I found this little machine a few weeks ago at a thrift store. After oiling it, and experimenting with the tension, it works very well. I have 2 issues though that are probably fixable:

1) it winds the bobbin all lop-sided, and I have to use my finger to try and fill the bobbin evenly. My other machines do not use this type of bobbin, but I have yet to try the 66 red-eye treadle.
The set-up of the bobbin winder is different from the one pictured in the manual. The one I have has just the post that the bobbin fits onto and a plastic oval thingy that you press the bobbin towards -- instead of the finger type pictured in the manual....

2) The foot controller is not very sensitive at the start of sewing. The machine sews quite fast and races out of the start gate, so to speak. I have oiled the pedal spring, where it touches the metal, but there is no noticeable improvement.

A little more about the Citation:
this machine has a detachable extension plate, which I really like. It is also quite smart: button hole set-up and blind hem, and stretch stitch, all accessible though the selector knob. Also sews buttons on but I doubt I'll ever want to risk that :-) .

It came in a beautiful red case, an accessory box and the original manual. I found an ad for this machine where it is advertised for $150 new in 1976.
Citation, Wizard and Brother are some of the names of related machines made in Japan. Model # 62-8849-2, apparently made by Brother. I have seen similar versions badged as "Dressmaker" - but none of those have the extension table.

TIA for any help, Sabine
Attached Thumbnails citation2_med.jpg   citation5_med.jpg