Old 11-03-2014, 04:16 PM
cathyvv

I recently purchased a 96" wide roll. It did not have a cardboard tube. Shipping weight should be very close to the actual weight, so use that as your guide.

I thought I wouldn't be able to pick the batting roll up, but I could. My guess is that it was around 20 pounds, but I might be guessing low, and yours will no doubt be heavier. The batting is folded in half before it is rolled, so that means my roll stands about 48" high.

I measured the diameter of the batting roll and went to Lowe's and bought a circular aluminum tray - that is usually used under water heaters - to stand it in. It cost about $ 15, and is only about 3" high; I bought it so that it wouldn't sit directly on the garage floor. Plunked the batting in the aluminum tray, right next to a ceiling support in our garage, leaned the batting on the support. Then I took two long, narrow scraps, tied them together, wrapped it around the post and the batting and tied it snugly. It is right next to the table where I cut fabric, so it's easy to unroll, measure and cut, then secure next to the ceiling support.

I was going to put it in a shower that we don't use. It would have been out of sight, but a bit of a hassle when i needed to measure and cut. I also thought about buying a large plastic trash can, cutting a 2" wide slit down one side and using that as a way to store it. That might work for you, and you could cover it when you're not getting batting off of it. You could secure the cover in place with a large bungee cord, which would also make it easy to remove the cover.

What I did was much easier, though, and the space the batting is in wasn't in use, so it works for both me and my DH.

Last edited by cathyvv; 11-03-2014 at 04:22 PM.