Old 11-03-2014, 10:01 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I fixed up a place on the wall, for my roll of W&W batting. DH brought me home a large dowel and three supports, from the hardware store.The dowel is long enough to also hold a roll of paper towels, at the other end. It's high/low enough that I can just roll my cutting table up to it.
Neesie, what you have there is exactly what I'd do if I still had wall space. It's a nice clean setup and easy to put up. I've got so much stuff crammed in my studio that the ceiling is all that's left. I've got a "full" kitchen in there, a quilting machine and other quilting stuff and all of the stuff I use to service machines and the room does quarduple duty displaying some vintage machines too.

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I recently purchased a 96" wide roll. It did not have a cardboard tube. Shipping weight should be very close to the actual weight, so use that as your guide. <snip>

I also thought about buying a large plastic trash can, cutting a 2" wide slit down one side and using that as a way to store it. That might work for you, and you could cover it when you're not getting batting off of it. You could secure the cover in place with a large bungee cord, which would also make it easy to remove the cover.
Thanks cathyvv! I guess I always assume that the shipping weight is way off for something that big because DH used to tell me stories about "cubing" things that were big to calculate how much of the "truck" it costs to ship. The "cubing" in the roll of batting is 169lbs based on one Canadian shipper, which is why it costs so much to ship from most carriers.

Thanks for the idea of the trash can! If I can find a spot to hide it, I just may do that!