View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 06:21 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by woody View Post
I have seen this http://www.thestripstick.com/ and am going to make one for the next time I make a OBW which needs all the seams pressed open.
I have a set of these and they are GREAT. I totally recommend them.

I hated pressing seams open for all the same reasons as you, quiltlady. I tried the silicone finger guards (just made me clumsy). I tried the wooden pressing stick (was a hassle and nothing stayed flat). I tried finger-pressing (worked, but tedious and slow and still needed heat-pressing after). These strip sticks are such a simple thing but they made me go from absolutely hating to press seams open to being totally OK with pressing seams open. I can't say I ENJOY it, but I'm a lot less annoyed and scorched when I do it now!

I was going to make my own but then I think Nancy's Notions had them on sale and I bought them. So glad I did, otherwise I'd still be "going to make them". I got 3 sizes and I use all three of them all the time. One of my best "bang-for-the-buck" notion purchases I've made!

I just lay them under the seam and quickly run my fingers down the sides of the stick to flatten the fabric against it. The seams naturally part open a little bit, enough that I can nudge the tip of my iron between them and then it's easy to just press down on the seam. That opens up the next section a little more...move iron over, press again. Goes quick and easy and my fingers get nowhere near the iron plate. And the seams STAY flat. Brilliant!

Edit to add: just re-read my post and figured I better add - I'm not associated with the company that makes these in any way, just a happy customer.