View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 06:55 PM
joe'smom

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
Thanks ladies, I am really hating this quilt...

I am not using steam just a dry iron but every time I run my finger along the seam to open it I burn my finger... I must not be coordinated because this pressing the seam open is a real pain more ways then one... I will try the stick thing and some of the other stuff you ladies told me about... I just want this quilt done! I really don't know why the seams have to be pressed open but I figured that I would follow the directions for once...and now have two burned fingers GRRRR,, but this will pass....as soon as the quilt is done.. just glad it is only a baby quilt so it's not to big... Thanks again...
Are you burning your finger on hot fabric, or are you burning your finger with your iron? I paid attention to how I was doing this today. I press my seam to set, with the two fabrics still together. Then I open the two sewn together pieces, place them on the ironing board right side down, separate the beginning of the seam allowances with my finger, pressing all the way down to the ironing board surface with my finger in just that first spot. I then lift up and move my finger about 1/2 to 1 inch away while placing the point of the iron onto the first spot I finger pressed open, and press all the way down to the ironing board surface with my finger in the second spot. I just keep advancing down the seam this way -- lift up finger, and put it down again an inch away while pressing the place my finger was previously with the point of the iron. The finger is never on hot fabric, and it's never close enough to the iron to be burned. I'm not clear on just how you're burning your finger. Are you trying to work too quickly?