Old 11-04-2014, 08:09 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I think my batting is Hobbs 80/20 or its Quilter's Dream 80/20, similar to W&N batting if that helps. Its 43" in diameter at this writing and I don't think I've cut any if much off it yet. I have mine suspended on the ceiling over my cutting table so I can just roll it out over the table and cut it from there. As my sewing room is in the basement my ceilings are not tall, only 7'4" to the top. I bought some long hooks with an eye installing it into a 2 x 4 and then into the ceiling as I didn't want the long screw to go up thru my floor joists. I purchased a 1.5" thick dowel 64" long, added eye hooks to each end with a removeable clip gadget so I can release it when I needed to y it. Even with 1.5" dowel the weigh still bowed the dowel a bit.

Here are some photos to show you what I did................
hey snooze2978, are you sure it's 43" in diameter? It doesn't look like it's half the height of your basement.... I'm guessing that's a typo.

what you did is exactly what I was thinking, but I have a drop ceiling, and the same height measurement that you do. Your post prompted me to measure and find out that it wouldn't work here.

Since most people seemed to be gently guiding me to a different solution, I did some rearranging today and managed to find some wall space. I went and grabbed the brackets that Neesie has (only I couldn't find her stainless ones in small town Alberta), used the curtain rod i'd originally thought to attach to my frame for a batting bar and am officially ready for my batting to arrive.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 11-04-2014 at 08:12 PM.