View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 05:07 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I looked up your serial number here: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...l-numbers.html

And according to that chart, it's a Singer 128, released in a batch of 25,000 on May 23,1919.

I'm not really sure of the value; if it has rare decals it'll be worth more. But there were so many of those machines made, and they were built like tanks, so there are still several thousand of them knocking around in the world. Rarity makes value, and so most of them are NOT rare and not worth the fortune it seems it should be.

The domed wooden case increases the value, assuming it's in good shape. Rare decals in good condition will increase the value. Lots of accessories also helps.

Look at eBay for SOLD Singer 128's and see if you can judge from that. I see a lot of ended listings in the $100-150 range with no buyers, on machines that look quite nice.
I have a Singer 128 that someone GAVE me. Mine was "born" March 19, 1924. Runs beautifully with a knee control. But there is a burr somewhere that catches the thread every 6 to 12 inches. I'm willing to use it like that, but my repair man wants to find out what is doing that'

As for the treadle machine being worth more, they are only worth more if you are going to actually use it a lot. Most collectors prefer the portables because they have no more room in their house for another piece of furniture. They would be willing to pay more for a good bentwood case. Mine is not in the best of condition and my decals are pretty beat up. There are ways to fix those things, but I don't know when I will take the time to do that.