Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 AM
JeanieG

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
JeanieG, I've only done one QAYG machine quilted project and despite being really careful while I was doing it the batting started separating when I started using and washing the quilt. When I say separating I mean that I can hold the quilt up to the light and see that the batting is not longer touching - it has spread apart where I had butted it up together. I though I had been really careful to butt the edges up together and I thought I had ship stitched the pieces together before I quit the quilt. I also heavily quilted it, as in 1/4-1/2." So, I'd love to do another one in sections but am too nervous to try it. You've had success with it? Any more tips, other than what you've shared above? Exactly what do you do with the fusible interfacing. Thank you!

I use the fusible interfacing to bond the two pieces of batting back together before I quilt each section. I don't really consider it a QAYG project. The whole quilt top and backing is the finished size - the only thing I do different is cut the batting into 3rds. I quilt first the middle, attach the batting back on one side via about 1" to 1 1/2" of fusible interfacing, quilt that section, then do the same with the other side. You could also whip stitch the interfacing back together by hand, I have done this also. They actually have pre-made strips to fuse the batting together, but I just cut the interfacing myself - much cheaper. (Clear as mud!)