Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 AM
bstanbro

I'm so glad we've had this thread because last night I received my first request for a bed-sized quilt from a long-time friend's husband. To be fair to my friend, she followed up his email with one of her own saying that she didn't know he had this desire and apologizing if I was offended. (Not really, but geez.) Here is the request:

I have a personal request for a quilt. I'll pay you fairly: I want one with a big black bear on it, we can work on the layout. I need it large enough to hang over on a queen-sized bed. Would you consider doing it when you have time?

And this was my response:

Oh gosh. I have so many projects lined up to be done that it will probably be quite some time before I could get to this. Further, you need to understand that the fabric alone for a quilt this size would be over $200. The quilting would be another $200, so you can see that the materials alone are very expensive. As for my time, it would probably take me a about a month of daily work to do a quilt this size. That said, if you will pick a pattern and purchase the fabric, I’ll be happy to sew it together for you. Think about it and let me know.

As of yet, I haven't heard from him.