View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 06:02 AM
Cogito

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Shelbie ... Unfortunately many of our local Fair Judges are far from qualified to do such. Yes, they take the OAAS training. However, many know nothing else beyond that and I am not even sure they even remember what they were trained about at the schools. I know one "respected" OAAS Judge, who has never made a quilt!! And another one who admits her specialty and true interest is towards preserves, and yet she judges quilts. Interesting eh? I'm not saying these Judges are good ... or not so. Though, from some of the comments I have had on my entries, I sure wonder!!!!! I surely have a full jar of salt as a result!! ...... I won't even get into the politics of the of it all.

Sometimes I think that the name of the Judge(s) should be posted for some accountability!!
So often, we never have a clue as to whom it was.
Sometimes I have asked and been told. Most times, I know they know, and just go cold and clam up! L)

AudreyB ... as already said, take what you wish from any Judges' comments. Despite their supposed neutralities, personal opinions definitely do come into play ... they can't help but! After all these Judges are human! Were there no other comments made, other than the need for more quilting? Unfortunately, we never get a chance to talk to the Judge ... or to ask the questions that are left unanswered ... or to defend our rationale or trainings on such. Don't let it defeat you, quilt on and keep showing!!!!!!!!!!

One comment that was said to me by oneoof the Judge's helpers at a show, was that unfortunately, we never get to see the backs of the quilts ... they often tell you why a quilt wins, or does not! Apparently some at that show were outright horrid on the back, yet the fronts were impeccable!
Thank you QuiltE! And thanks to pumpkinpatchquilter and nana-up-north! This had been so educational, really! I had no idea of all the intricacies, politics,etc, having never entered any of my quilts. I think about it off and on and then never do. Although I know that was not your intentions here but I think it has convinced me not to, lol! But I also understand and agree with the comments regarding the difficulties for the judges and trying to please everyone. I have no doubt it could be a thankless job. I am too sensitive and think I will continue to quilt for my own pleasure and enjoy seeing all of the beautiful competition quilts.