View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Blockhead

Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
Love your blocks...quite a bit of WOW factor! I'm really anxious to hear which machine you most prefer and why? I've got a 27 and a 15 and a 66...I'm wondering which one I ought to work on first...they all need some TLC, but none are "frozen" so I'm sure there's hope for all...my handcrank taught me the value of deep cleaning, oiling, and patience! I love the old Singers...my FW is the only one I actually sew on now. Thanks for posting..great quilt and great topic!
Hi bobbinwinder. I love, love, love the stitches from my 27, it is just gorgeous! It treadles with a cute clickity-click. It has a tiny shuttle bobbin, which is annoying, although bobbin winding on a treadle is fun. I don't think this old dear had been used for quilte a while before I got hold of it and I managed to stretch the belt to the point where I was hand cranking! It's awaiting a new belt.

I think, for practical reasons, I prefer the 15. It takes a regular 15x needle and uses a round bobbin which are pretty easy to find. The stitching is very nice but I did have a lot of tension problems with it. I could get it stitching well for a while, then the tension would come loose, creating birds nests.

I don't have a 66 (yet), so can't give an opinion. I did do one of the blocks on a hand crank, but went back to the treadles as I haven't quite got the knack of one-handed sewing yet.