View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 06:20 PM
cricket_iscute

Originally Posted by SoftBlockLady View Post
Sorry Onebyone......I didn't explain myself properly. I realize most any colour will do when piecing. I'm talking about quilting the quilt. Should the bobbin thread match the backing fabric if the stitching is in the ditch or very simple? What is the idea behind having different thread weights for the bobbin and top thread. Changing thread colour for example on a Bargello that goes from blacks/grey to blue/greens to beige/creams, what colour would you use?
I would use a light to medium grey. It goes with just about anything. If it is light enough, like silver, for instance, it will blend with your creams. If, however, you have mostly beige and cream, then go with a light sand or eggshell color. I use 50/3 for piecing and often use Connecting Threads Essential Threads unless it is a competition quilt. I usually use cotton, but for a non-competition quilt, polyester is fine, as far as I'm concerned. I can easily quilt with the same thread; I just finished quilting a multi-colored string quilt with medium grey and it looked fine. I seldom use Coats and Clark because I've had trouble with the quality of the thread and breakage. Do you know you can also use an invisible thread? Sew Art has a good one. In any case, get the polyester type.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 11-07-2014 at 06:23 PM.