Old 11-08-2014, 01:47 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bookw0rm View Post
Was just given this machine by a friend who found it in a house he bought. From says HomeMark 775490 JA26; bottom says Brother M6826. Came with a box of cams (one missing), a manual that never mentions a model, and assorted sewing "stuff" I haven't messed with. Can't find much info so anything appreciated. [ATTACH=CONFIG]498040[/ATTACH]
You won't find a manual for a specific machine most likely so you are right the manual is even generic. Brother badged a lot of machines. Some times you will see markings on the bottom. I have an Electro Grand with 'Brother' cast in raised letters on the hand wheel it's inside where you can't see it. Usually there is some indication of the maker on the bottom of the machine. I saw a new one the other day it said Dragon.

The two buttons on the front are there to hold the zig zag lever in place if you want uniform stitches or if you want you can move the zz lever back and forth and modulate the stitches but you have to have perfect timing for it to look like much. The big button is reverse - outside it is a stitch length dial. Often I see the reverse button frozen up. It isn't the button frozen it is the works behind it inside the machine.