View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 AM
AndreaM

Hello there.

I am a long time dressmaker/sewer fairly new to the quilting world. Four+ years ago I retired from full time teaching and tried out a quilt course - fatal, I was hooked. To date, however, I don't have a lot of finished quilts to my credit though I have several pieced tops completed and a stash of material that that might credit a veteran quilter!

I found the Quilting Board and have enjoyed browsing the messages. I have found some topics particularly helpful especially those relating to the Gracie II quilting frame. I found it very difficult manouevring the quilt under the sewing machine so I bought a frame. I do realise that good results will only come with practice, practice, practice, but I would really appreciate some hints and tips from anyone out there who is experienced on the frame.

I find that my greatest problem is with a balanced stitch. The top of the quilt looks acceptable (not good, stitch is not perfectly balanced) but the thread often lies flat on the back pulling down loops from the top. This is especially so on curved lines and stippling. The back does not looked "stitched" at all just covered in lines of thread with loops around. Please can anyone advise me, should I slow the speed down, or run the machine at full speed? I am using a Janome 6500 with the feed dogs dropped. This is a top loading machine and it has a balanced bobbin that I don't really want to disturb. Unfortunately, though I have had some advice from my supplier there are no courses or tutorials I can attend.

It will be very nice to hear any advice from Quilting Board members,all the messages I have browsed have been so friendly that I look forward to joining in.

Best wishes to you all.