View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 06:34 AM
bibi

Default Question about quilting in general

Having read the extensive responses to the comment about quilting and quilt shows, made me think about quilting in general. Hence, I am starting to wonder has the quilting part of the quilting experience become more in vogue than the piecing part?
Of course that does not mean it is good or bad it just means different. I am wondering if the advances in technology have just naturally lent themselves to this new path? While no one has implied one aspect of the quilting process is better than the other, it does seem that the emphasis is on the quilting process. For example, at a recent quilt show, I counted many more long-arm quilting machine vendors than home sewing machine vendors. Also many more workshops and demonstrations dealt with quilting techniques, etc rather than piecing.
After all as a fairly new quilter, 3 years, the aspect I am struggling the most with is the quilting part. Hence, it does not seem surprising that quilting the quilt top appears more significant than piecing. Though, if I am honest I have been drawn, and still am, to quilting because of the piecing. But I understand as someone on this board previously noted, basic patchwork quilt designs have been around for ages and can only be changed so much, while machine and computerized quilting a quilt top are fairly new and still developing.
What is everyone else thinking about the shift of importance in the quilting experience? Again I am not making a value judgment. There is no need for this to be judgmental. There will always be room for anyone's personal preference. Anyone's choice will always be appreciated on its own merits, still some things become more in vogue than others. So is the same things happening in the quilting world?
Sorry this is so long.