View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 12:30 PM
miriam
Power Poster

I've been squalling with a 'refurbished' Singer 27 I think... Anyway it was too good a deal for me to pass up. The refurbish job has not held up worth beans. When the guy plugged the motor in we just about had the 4th of July but at least we knew the machine turned just fine.... There was a lot of rust on the bed. I tried to wipe it off and all the paint came off - well an awful lot of it. I was too dumb to get a before pic... The upper part looks like they maybe painted it with an old brush. I ground off paint as much as I could on the base. It probably needs a day of paint grinding some time next summer... The slide plates had considerable rust. The rest of it is in good shape. The puzzle box had most of the stuff with it - you guessed it that was why I got the machine and I couldn't help but make the darn thing sew. The arm has considerable pin rash. The domed case is in need of some TLC mostly the finish. It is almost back together so I need to sew test it... but I'm out of steam for a little while. I guess I could put a motor on it or a steering wheel spinner - the HC attachment doesn't fit at all. DH tried - he wanted to see if it would work. He's kind of getting into the machines a little at a time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498257[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498258[/ATTACH]

I've seen a couple other refurbished machines. One is a 66 with a little bit of the crinkle finish left on it... Pretty ugly - anybody need a tractor??? The other was a Singer 27 and it looks nice - sews ok but that is about it. Not much appeal. I think that small balance wheel ruined it for me - I like something hefty I can grab on to. Then they ground off the bobbin winder and put a belt guard bobbin winder combo that only fits that hand wheel.... No turning that one back. They did pull of the badge - I can see holes where it was attached.
Attached Thumbnails singer-refurb-004.jpg   singer-refurb-003.jpg