View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 12:30 PM
ArchaicArcane

I do some work on the newer computerized machines and am certified by one of the "big" names to do warranty work for them. I'm also in IT.

I would suggest that any of the newer computerized machines should be treated like computers. Always have them on a UPS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninter...e_power_supply) or failing that at the very least a surge protector that you replace yearly*. The UPS will give your machine cleaner power, less surges and brownouts to deal with and the potential of less gremlins and possible fuses blown. Consumer grade UPS' powerful enough to run a sewing machine can be had for less than $100, and less than $50 on sale. Considering the cost of these machines, it's cheap insurance.

*Why replace the surge protectors? Once they buffer one really good surge or several small ones, they're no longer surge protectors, they're just power bars. Consumer Reports recommends every 2 years but I recommend once a year because power can be quite bad in some areas and you rarely know about surges unless accompanied with an electrical storm. With no real way to test, I find better safe than sorry. Even a UPS should be changed every several years, for the same reason. Typically their surge protection is a little stronger though, so I will go 4 or 5 years on those. I've run servers on UPS' for years, and the current one I run is more than 6 years old and hardware wise is still going strong.