View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 PM
quiltingshorttimer

I tied the first 2 t-shirt quilt and when I really started quilting, I would FMQ on my DSM up to twin size. I rented time on a long arm at a shop and loved it. so when I could I bought a used Gammill. Beside my own projects, I do customer quilts. I don't consider them "my" quilt and my goal is always to compliment the piecing--basically I'm accessorizing the design,fabric,piecing work with my quilt design. While I appreciate credit if the quilt is going to a show, I do not consider it "my" quilt since my design is dependent on the piecer's original work. Several have said that $$ keep them from using long arm services. I totally understand that, especially now that I'm retired, but I suggest you do some checking around. I know that in my area there are long arm quilters that charge as anywhere from less than penny a square inch up to 3-4 centers/sq. inch. It all depends on the density of quilting and complexity of design. Now in my area, hand quilting is what really is pricey! So good to you that are hand quilters