Thread: this and that
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Sewnoma

I wish I could show you the seams on the first quilt I ever made, you'd feel a lot better. I didn't know the quarter-inch seam rule, didn't understand how to match seams, no clue I was supposed to press anything or that fabric had a 'grain'.... I decided to make it king size and since I had no clue what I was doing, I assumed the quilt top and backing should be the exact same size as the batting so I made it all 120" square to match the batting size. Ended up stretching the batting to make it 'fit'.... Discovered my backing was too small after already started quilting so just sort of angled a seam in there to add more fabric. Then decided I needed to FMQ this gigantic mess of a quilt...somehow I managed THAT, but there's a lot of zigs and zags where there should be smooth lines; I didn't rip anything out I just kept on going.

Amazingly, it's on the bed, and other than being WAY TOO BIG it's held together extremely well and doesn't look as horrible as you might expect. It's scrappy and that helps hide a lot of my mess-ups - DH swears it looks great. I think I'm going to lop about a foot off of the sides and bottom some day, and re-bind it, to make it fit the bed better. We have a platform bed that's low to the ground & no box springs, this quilt literally drags on the floor on 3 sides of the bed, LOL. But I'm not getting rid of it or retiring it! I'm darn proud of that mess of a quilt! *I* made it, and I learned a lot from it.

Let go, be creative, have fun. Ignore the rules. I broke every rule possible and still managed to create a perfectly functional and fairly attractive quilt.