Thread: Quilt Sizes
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 05:22 AM
citruscountyquilter

Originally Posted by SoftBlockLady View Post
I'm new to this, but why are the quilt patterns out there so small?. Most won't fit a single bed. It's a good thing I found out my niche in this hobby is pulling them apart, resizing, determining the new fabric yardage and what sizes to cut the pieces. What is the point of making these things if you can't use them.
People like and use quilts differently. Some use quilts as bedspreads, some use them to snuggle with and a large quilt in that case is heavy and unweildly. I fall into the snuggle category and find smaller quilts very useful. I made a twin size quilt for my mother-in-law and she wanted to use it for a bedspread and it didn't come all the way to the floor so she was not happy with it. She has passed away and I now have the quilt back and for me it is too big and heavy to use to snuggle with. Point it, different strokes for different folks. A smaller quilt it not unusable and many people desire them.

I never use a pattern for a quilt so I can't speak to sizes in patterns getting smaller however there is generally a way to make a quilt any size that you want it by adding or using fewer blocks, the size and number of borders and such. The closest I have ever come to using a pattern is what I use for my avatar. The pattern for that (which was a free download) was for a wall hanging. I just added more blocks and a border to make it into a quilt.