View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 10:55 AM
krafty14

One of my quilt groups made this as a raffle a few years ago. It came out looking like the one pictured by Yadroc, but without the "grout". We each stacked up 6 fabrics (I think they were 14" squares, but it is the same technique for what ever size you choose.
We made the first cut top to bottom on the right at an angle, then moved 1 fabric from the right to the bottom of the pile. We then sewed the pairs of fabrics back together. Yes, they don't exactly match up, but everything gets squared at the end.
We then made a horizontal cut near the bottom and moved the top 2 fabrics on the smaller piece to the bottom. Then sewed the pieces back together.
Made another vertical cut near the left side and move 3 to the bottom. Sew together.
Make another horizontal cut near the top and move 4 to the bottom. Sew together.
All cuts should NOT be parallel and should not meet each other at a right angle.
Since there are 6 fabrics and 9 patches, you will have duplicate patches in each square.
I often thought that if we started with 9 or more squares there would be no duplicates.
Since there were 8 participants, with different sewing skills, the blocks were varied sizes.
We went through all the squares and found the smallest one and squared it. Then squared all the rest to the same size. I used a 10.5" square and moved it around on each square to get a pleasing look.
Then sewed them all together. It was raffled off, and I never remembered to take a picture. (
Have fun with it! Ann