View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 05:07 AM
youngduncan

Default Cranberry Relish

Now that Thanksgiving is near, it's time to pull out one of my mother's favorite holiday dishes: Cranberry Relish. It was always one of our family's favorites, and it requires only four ingredients and a minimum of time and effort.

CRANBERRY RELISH
1 1-lb. bag fresh cranberries (the 12-oz. bags available today will also work well)
2 medium red apples, skin on, cored and sliced into chunks
1 orange, skin on, seeds removed and cut into chunks
2 cups sugar (or sugar substitute)

Pick and wash the cranberries and put them into a food processor. Add the chunks of apple and orange. Pulse until the entire mixture is as fine as you would like it to be. We prefer almost pulverized. Pour the mixture into a container.

Stir in the sugar until well dissolved. Taste to see if it is sweet enough for your taste. If not, add a little more sugar. Cover tightly and place in the refrigerator. Stir and taste for sweetness daily for about three or four days.

I like to "cook" my relish in the refrigerator for three or four days before serving to give all the flavors plenty of time to marry. This is good enough to eat by itself, but it is a really good accompaniment for ham or turkey or chicken and dressing.

Enjoy!

Bill