View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Joyfilled

Question Mixing materials in a rag quilt?

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to quilting....sewing for that matter. So new, I've never made a quilt! I have high aspirations though. I have 4 kids, and want to make each of them a rag quilt for Christmas. The finished product will be 9" blocks (12" to start with), 7 x 5. I have no idea if I'm even saying this in correct quilting terms, so please bear with me.

My question is this: I have all the material that I need to make them, including batting for the middle. Some cotton fabrics and some flannel, with minky (is that what it's called?) fabric for the background. The thing is, I'm hearing a LOT of different opinions on this. My aunt says I shouldn't mix the fabrics. Others say there is no problem. Some say that I should wash everything before I cut and sew, others that I shouldn't. ARGH! So many different opinions!! What do you all think? Can anyone offer me some tried and true advice? I'd appreciate it so very much!

I plan on just working on one quilt at a time, and finish as I'm able....although the goal is Christmas, I'm hoping for the best!

Edited to add: I also know the basics of sewing, and am confident I can sew in a straight line....haha!

Last edited by Joyfilled; 11-15-2014 at 02:18 PM.