Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Quercus Rubra

(Above the Hole - everyone hears the most unusual sound. They have heard it off & on throughout several days. It doesn't sound like any Santa that they ever heard or of reindeers or elves as a matter of fact. "Sshhh" says one member. Others says that it reminds them of "Gollum" from the LOTR movies. Which brave soul is going to look has the members pondering about? Upon a vote they send up the Cabana Boy. Although there was a few who disagreed that if he went up & didn't come back the members would have to make their drinks & fetch their own snacks too. With trepidation he looks out and sees no strange creature about but a poor humanoid trying to talk. He takes it's hand and heads down to the hole with promises of hot toddies, ice packs and writing supplies. The members are silent are they see the bundle in which he brings. It is slightly hunched over, covered with snow, and it a bit frazzled. One member closest to the Cabana boy jumps up and exclaims "OH NO!! You poor soul!!! A few minutes goes by before the other members come to realize that this is not some strange monster but Quercus Rubra as she crawls to the fire to warm up her 10 little toes. Along with her fingers and her oh-so-cold little nose.)

Hello everyone!! Man is it cold! We finally got some measurable snow here in my neck of the woods. Well maybe an inch or two. I come to see what every is sharing here on the thread. I really like some of the recipes I see and I would love to have some of those nice thick socks everyone it talking about. I can barely knit with two straight needles and I know one stitch in crocheting. Or I would make some of them on my own. I would like to wear some that was knee high but would settle for something like a tall cuffed ankle sock as I have "very fluffy" calf muscles. LOL. Does anyone like pumpkin raisin cookies or even some scones? Here is a recipe that I love to make from Ocean Spray using their dried cranberries.

Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Chunk Cookies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 5-ounce package Ocean Spray® Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
2/3 cup white chocolate chunks or chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375ºF.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mixing well. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Add to butter mixture in several additions, mixing well after each addition. Stir in dried cranberries and white chocolate chunks.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Makes approximately 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

Please feel free to add to the recipes that are being gathered. This is one that even my kids like. What is it about oatmeal & cranberries that most kids won't touch if it's in bowl form but put in a cookie and they can't get enough of them?

Today I'm going to try and eat some eggs for breakfast. I was able to do oatmeal with milk yesterday. I really want something more than Jell-o but I have to start small again as the swelling has come back. I did find a nice soup cookbook at the library the other day. There is a good selection of Creamed soups I'm going to try. I LOVE home made soup but If the mister is going to eat it ... no onions, mushrooms or tomatoes are allowed. I think I'll try making a nice potato soup for this evening. With garlic, shredded cheddar and butter. I'm going to take a break from the Jell-o and make some pudding. I use that to make taking my pills easier on the throat and at this rate I'll do what ever it takes.

I'll try in pop in later once I've made some progress on a little something that is a gift. Stay safe & warm with hugs to all.

Tricia