View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 06:16 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

And also add that tricot adds a LOT of extra weight and is expensive! Go with the lightweight non stretch stuff like the Pellon 904F or you can go with the generic JoAnnes one. I haven't bought any in ages but the last time I bought a whole bolt of the stuff and it was only .99 per yard. The Pellon is definitely a better product but at the time i was doing so many T-shirt quilts and it works.

Also, unlike many, I cut my stabilizer to size first. I use scraps to stabilize as well, it doesn't have to be one piece (hate waste!). Once I have all my stabilizer ready, i cut out my T-shirt emblem then immediately fuse on the stabilizer. I get a tiny bit of curl from older T's. My method results in absolutely no waste of the stabilizer. You will have to decide for yourself if the savings is worth it. It is definitely easier to fuse a larger piece onto the T first then cut but I have done so many of these, it is 2nd nature to me.

Before i got my LA I tied them with fat bat every 4" on the T. T'shirt quilts are heavy! Much heavier than a traditional quilt top. So I can't imagine trying to manhandle that thing through a DSM. Now I have LA so I have no trouble quilting them.

Here is a picture of a tied one I did:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499313[/ATTACH]

And here is one I LA
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499314[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails brians-t-shirt-quilt.jpe   linda-tshirt-quilt-front.jpg